Thursday, October 21, 2010

Trials of life

As I went through yesterday I realized that I didn't have much to do at work. So that is why I started the Blog. It gives me an understanding on what I need to do in my life and how to keep a record of it. If anyone has teenagers you realize that the trials that they go through in life are greater then we as adults have ever had it. They are being pulled in so many directions that they do not which way they should follow. Over the lives of my oldest two children we have tried to teach them to be trustworthy and that choices have consequences. I think that lesson will continue to be taught for a long time to come. I think the greatest test for a parent is to step back and let your children make choices weither good or bad. Then watch them deal with the consequences. I think that is the hardest thing that I have had to deal with them. I have heard before that if you teach your children all you can when they are young in what is right that when they turn 13 and start believing that you do not know what you are talking about as a parent, that sooner or later they will come back to the realization that you have gone through a lot of what they have gone through and know what you are talking about.

Over the past year and a half Tiffany and I have met a lot of challenges weither in home, work, or church. It has not been easy. I find as I counsel youth how much they do not know of the basic principles of the gospel. I guess at my age I didn't either, but in this day and age we have to teach our children at an earlier age what is right and wrong and how to deal with the temptations of Satan.

Even with knowing that Satan is there, it is hard for our youth. With peer pressure, school, and trying to understand who they are and what path they want to follow. We as parents need to put our arms around our children and keep them true on the path. I know that I struggle with my own trials of life, but the most important thing is my family. A friendly reminder from my mother occasionally stating that we want no empty seats in Heaven reminds me that we are our brothers keeper. It doesn't mean to control them but it does mean to help them along the path of life with our love and hopefully our example.

Yesterday, I chose to go to the church activities with out a shirt and tie (first time since being called Bishop)on thinking that I wouldn't sit and counsel with anyone last night. I wore a button down shirt. It looked good but wasn't what I really should have done. I arrived at the church last night to find that the Stake Presidency was at the church to do temple recommend interviews. So I definitely felt out of place right off the bat. Thank goodness Tiffany was at home and was about to head to the church. She brought me a white shirt and tie. I felt better. I guess I learned a valuable lesson that my responsibility as a Bishop is never done and I need to be ready for the unexpected. It is a humbling responsibility and one that I continue to learn about and grow from.

I must have turned off my alarm clock this morning becuase I slept right through Seminary. Tiffany had to go into to get some blood work done from her appointment last week. I get the opportunity to go hang out with the kids tomorrow around lunch time so Tiffany can get another exam done tomorrow. I enjoy spending time with the kids. It never seems like I have enough time with them. Especially the older two! They are always gone, but what can I expect from two high schoolers. It still amazes me that we have a 17 1/2 year old son. Amazes me even more that he will go on a mission in a year and a half. That will be a great thing, but one that will be hard to get use to not having him around. I remember him as a little boy, I would come home for lunch and we would walk across the street and get the mail. It because a routine. It was a great thing, and a great memory.

I was able to read scriptures with William, Ryan, and Emma this morning. It is an amazing feeling to read with your kids and that they enjoy to learn about Jesus Christ. I am sure it is the feeling they get when they read about him that brings them back for me. I know it does for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment